Aller au contenu

L'affaire Van Haken - Michael Oblowitz - 2002

Basculo Cui Cui

Messages recommandés

un seagal direct to dvd qui a tres mauvaise reputation

j'ai bien aimé

ca canarde beaucoup mais steven est trop lourd il arrive plus a casser des bras !

Jonathon Cold (Steven Seagal) is a freelance agent hired by a mysterious man to deliver a package from France to Germany. The contents of the package remain undisclosed, even between employer and employee, but whatever it contains seems to be attracting a swarm of political corruption, backstabbing bad guys and murder. However, Cold knows he must stay one step ahead of the evil powers at work, whoever they are, no matter what the cost, as it increasingly becomes a game of step on or be stepped on.

1 étoiles sur 5 Decevant...., 19 octobre 2005

STRING(top-500-reviewer_5245) Commentaire de : Andre Meyer (Qui suis-je ?) de RAEDERSHEIM, France

Le scenario... mauvais...et bourée d'invraisamblances... Les mechants ne meurent jamais malgré les baffes, l'intrigue se complique sans cesse et les scenes d'actions sont assez moyennes...

Petit budget, petit film, a oublier malgré la precense de Steven Seagal qui ne devait pas avoir lu le scenario avant de signer....

Oh the humanity!, October 4, 2004

Reviewer: Jeffrey Leach (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews

(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

If you, like me, ever wonder what happened to Steven Seagal, you need to run right out and pick up "The Foreigner." In the late 1980s and early 1990's, it looked as though Seagal would join the ranks of Hollywood's top action stars. You would hear his name in the same sentence with Arnie and Stallone, no small feat indeed. And to a large degree, Seagal's films deserved the comparison. "Under Siege" was a winner, as were "Hard to Kill" and "Above the Law." The actor's greatest appeal isn't hard to fathom; Seagal embraced a brutal form of martial arts that, at least onscreen, allowed him to slap down thugs, break bones, and wreak massive havoc without batting an eye. Literally, Seagal would stand in place and put down one goon after the other with an ease that looked not only natural but also realistic. I still enjoy watching that pool room scene where Seagal's character used pool cues, billiard balls, and whatever else he could lay his hands on to put out the trash. Alas, how the mighty have fallen. The early 1990s may as well be ancient history as far as Steven Seagal is concerned. Although he's still capable of making a few moderately entertaining films, far too often we're seeing movies like "The Foreigner" and "Ticker."

Steven Seagal is Jonathan Cold, aka "The Foreigner," which we learn toward the end of the film is a highly trained government operative who works overseas under deep cover. During the film we discover he's now working for some sleazy Polish goon who wants him to carry a package to a client somewhere in Europe as his final assignment. First, he has to pick up the package from a couple of Russians out in the countryside with his boss's other hired hand, the nefarious Dunois (Max Ryan). Predictably, the two engage in macho banter on the car ride out to the cottage, which allows us to learn that Dunois is a rather shady character, before the two narrowly survive a huge gun battle and fire at the house. Cold isn't happy about dealing with such dire circumstances, but he's a professional and won't give up on fulfilling his mission. Perhaps he should have since that would have saved the audience from enduring the rest of this amateurish piece of dreck. Anyway, Seagal heads off to do what he does best, unaware that his old boss from the CIA, Jared Olyphant (Gary Raymond), knows all about the box and wants what is in it. At least I think Olyphant is Cold's former employer; the movie's so convoluted that it's hard to keep track of the various characters.

Before you can hit stop on your remote, all sorts of unpleasant people are gunning for our hero. Cold discovers that the package contains references to an air disaster in the 1980s, and also learns that wealthy industrialist Jerome Van Aken (Harry Van Gorkum) has something to do with the whole thing. While Cold scopes out the Van Aken estate, Dunois doggedly tracks him with the sort of persistence I wish I had as I tried to get through this movie. There's also a black assassin named Mims, hired by Jared Olyphant, gunning for the box. Cold eventually figures out, with a little help from Jerome's wife Meredith (Anne-Louise Plowman), that there's a huge conspiracy linking the information in the box with a corporate plot to create...well, I won't spoil it for you, but I ought to if it will prevent people from watching the film. Before we learn the shocking revelations that blow the evildoers' plans wide open, the movie treats us to several poorly edited action sequences that find Seagal's character infiltrating the Van Aken estate in order to blow away several beefy Slavic guards. He does it again later with Dunois, entering the compound by the SAME route he went in before. You would think the crack security team in charge of a billionaire's private residence would figure out a way to shore up the cracks, but you would be wrong.

Absolutely nothing works in "The Foreigner" beyond a few exceptionally bloody squibs. Director Michael Oblowitz, who should now personify that age-old mantra "you'll never work in this town again," simply doesn't know how to make a coherent movie. In the place of intriguing, deeply developed characters and original action scenes, he falls into the deadly trap of blaring techno music, cool dialogue that is neither cool nor makes sense, and continuity holes you could sail a battleship through. Even worse, the film relies way to heavily on speeding up or slowing down the speed of the film. I can understand using slow motion to show a body cartwheeling from a shotgun blast, but why do we need to watch Seagal's character sit down in a chair in slo-mo? It's one of those examples of a movie elevating style over substance. Problem is we've seen so many movies overuse these techniques that we recognize when it's poorly used. By far the most ridiculous aspect of the movie has to be how many times Dunois bites the bullet only to bounce back up for another round. I could go on and on.

Did I hear you ask about extras? A bunch of trailers for other action films, including "XXX," "I Spy," "Half Past Dead," "The Foreigner," and "The One." They probably shouldn't have included some of these trailers on the disc, though. I kept thinking how much I would rather watch a few of these other films than this one, even the other Seagal low budget actioners. Actually, I also recently watched two other Steven Seagal films, "Exit Wounds" and "Belly of the Beast," and both were much better than "The Foreigner" Perhaps this movie is an anomaly. I certainly hope so for Seagal's sake as even diehard fans will want to skip this clunker.

Don't do it!, February 16, 2006

Reviewer: Bob Davis "Movie Lover" (Richland, WA USA) - See all my reviews

This is not the Seagal of the early nineties. Something has happened to him and it's not good. He's gained weight, does not move like before, and is hard to understand. The technical process is terrible. I will never buy another Seagal (I have 14 of the old ones) again and I think Amazon should seriously consider taking this off their site.

Lord Steven AKA God, November 5, 2005

Reviewer: SOIA1979 "Totally Sweet" (MD United States) - See all my reviews

'The Foreigner', along with 'Ticker', is just about the most hated Seagal flick by both the casual movie fan and the most devoted, dieheard Seagalogists. So, I went back and pulled it from my Seagal DVD collection and gave it a repeat viewing. I have come to decide that 'The Foreigner', while no where near the Lordly goodness of 'Belly Of The Beast' or 'Out For Justice', is much better than some of, in my opinion, Seagal's worst: 'Out Of Reach', 'Ticker', and 'Today You Die'.

The plot goes a little something like this: Lord Steven plays ex-CIA agent Johnathan Cold(by far the worst character name Seagal has ever had)who i guess is supposed to be in the same line of work as Jason Statham's character in 'The Transporter'. So the Lord is hired to deliver a package to some rich business tycoon, but of course is turned on by the people who hired him, the rich business tycoon's wife tries to steal the package, and there's other bad dudes out to get the package as well. Its all a little vague but if you don't concentrate too hard, you can ignore all the gaps in plot, and sorta kinda understand whats going on.

Anyways, the Lord is pretty sick looking in this film: he's tubby, his hair is nappy, and he has his arms crossed in front of his gut for approximately 80% of the film. There are a couple decent fight scenes, but the majority of them is obviously done by a stuntman who looks nothing like nor weighs nowhere near as much as Seagal. The only time the Lord appears during fight scenes is in close-up shots where it appears to be playing paddycake. Oh, and about a third of Seagal's dialogue is dubbed by someone who sounds nothing like him. But on the flipside, the cinematography is nice, the camera work is very well done, some very brutal shootings, and the acting is pretty good for the most part(especially by the black British guy who tortures Seagal near the beginning of the film; that guy is very good).

Overall, 'The Foreigner' is not a good film but its definitely not the Lord's worst. So I declare: it is not as deserving of the venom that films like 'Ticker' and 'Out Of Reach' deserve. Give it a second viewing and I don't think you'll hate it as much as you think you do. You won't love it, but you might realize, like I did, that it does have a few good points.

Oh, and as a little sidenote: Seagal's next flick, entitled 'Black Dawn', is a sequel to 'The Foreigner'. Go figure...he could have made a sequel to 'Under Seige' or 'Belly Of The Beast' or even brought back Gino Felino for 'Out For Justice 2' but he decides to bring back Johnathan Cold? Weird.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

There must be an audience for Steven Seagal movies, but it's hard to imagine who would actually want to watch a movie like The Foreigner. Seagal, bloated and puffy-faced, plays a super-professional operative of some kind, who on this occasion is supposed to deliver a package from someone (it doesn't matter who) to a super-rich industrialist. The industrialist's beautiful blond wife tries to intercept it, Seagal prevents this, then decides to help her out, and lots and lots of people get killed in impractical and implausible ways. Almost every scene is so full of "mysterious" dialogue as to be incomprehensible. The Foreigner tries to create a veil of cool action attitude to disguise the lack of cool and the lack of action. Seagal mumbles. Seagal frowns. No one shoots Seagal, despite numerous opportunities to do so and no reason not to. Why was this movie made? --Bret Fetzer

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:

Oh the humanity!, October 4, 2004

Reviewer: Jeffrey Leach (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews

(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

If you, like me, ever wonder what happened to Steven Seagal, you need to run right out and pick up "The Foreigner." In the late 1980s and early 1990's, it looked as though Seagal would join the ranks of Hollywood's top action stars. You would hear his name in the same sentence with Arnie and Stallone, no small feat indeed. And to a large degree, Seagal's films deserved the comparison. "Under Siege" was a winner, as were "Hard to Kill" and "Above the Law." The actor's greatest appeal isn't hard to fathom; Seagal embraced a brutal form of martial arts that, at least onscreen, allowed him to slap down thugs, break bones, and wreak massive havoc without batting an eye. Literally, Seagal would stand in place and put down one goon after the other with an ease that looked not only natural but also realistic. I still enjoy watching that pool room scene where Seagal's character used pool cues, billiard balls, and whatever else he could lay his hands on to put out the trash. Alas, how the mighty have fallen. The early 1990s may as well be ancient history as far as Steven Seagal is concerned. Although he's still capable of making a few moderately entertaining films, far too often we're seeing movies like "The Foreigner" and "Ticker."

Steven Seagal is Jonathan Cold, aka "The Foreigner," which we learn toward the end of the film is a highly trained government operative who works overseas under deep cover. During the film we discover he's now working for some sleazy Polish goon who wants him to carry a package to a client somewhere in Europe as his final assignment. First, he has to pick up the package from a couple of Russians out in the countryside with his boss's other hired hand, the nefarious Dunois (Max Ryan). Predictably, the two engage in macho banter on the car ride out to the cottage, which allows us to learn that Dunois is a rather shady character, before the two narrowly survive a huge gun battle and fire at the house. Cold isn't happy about dealing with such dire circumstances, but he's a professional and won't give up on fulfilling his mission. Perhaps he should have since that would have saved the audience from enduring the rest of this amateurish piece of dreck. Anyway, Seagal heads off to do what he does best, unaware that his old boss from the CIA, Jared Olyphant (Gary Raymond), knows all about the box and wants what is in it. At least I think Olyphant is Cold's former employer; the movie's so convoluted that it's hard to keep track of the various characters.

Before you can hit stop on your remote, all sorts of unpleasant people are gunning for our hero. Cold discovers that the package contains references to an air disaster in the 1980s, and also learns that wealthy industrialist Jerome Van Aken (Harry Van Gorkum) has something to do with the whole thing. While Cold scopes out the Van Aken estate, Dunois doggedly tracks him with the sort of persistence I wish I had as I tried to get through this movie. There's also a black assassin named Mims, hired by Jared Olyphant, gunning for the box. Cold eventually figures out, with a little help from Jerome's wife Meredith (Anne-Louise Plowman), that there's a huge conspiracy linking the information in the box with a corporate plot to create...well, I won't spoil it for you, but I ought to if it will prevent people from watching the film. Before we learn the shocking revelations that blow the evildoers' plans wide open, the movie treats us to several poorly edited action sequences that find Seagal's character infiltrating the Van Aken estate in order to blow away several beefy Slavic guards. He does it again later with Dunois, entering the compound by the SAME route he went in before. You would think the crack security team in charge of a billionaire's private residence would figure out a way to shore up the cracks, but you would be wrong.

Absolutely nothing works in "The Foreigner" beyond a few exceptionally bloody squibs. Director Michael Oblowitz, who should now personify that age-old mantra "you'll never work in this town again," simply doesn't know how to make a coherent movie. In the place of intriguing, deeply developed characters and original action scenes, he falls into the deadly trap of blaring techno music, cool dialogue that is neither cool nor makes sense, and continuity holes you could sail a battleship through. Even worse, the film relies way to heavily on speeding up or slowing down the speed of the film. I can understand using slow motion to show a body cartwheeling from a shotgun blast, but why do we need to watch Seagal's character sit down in a chair in slo-mo? It's one of those examples of a movie elevating style over substance. Problem is we've seen so many movies overuse these techniques that we recognize when it's poorly used. By far the most ridiculous aspect of the movie has to be how many times Dunois bites the bullet only to bounce back up for another round. I could go on and on.

Did I hear you ask about extras? A bunch of trailers for other action films, including "XXX," "I Spy," "Half Past Dead," "The Foreigner," and "The One." They probably shouldn't have included some of these trailers on the disc, though. I kept thinking how much I would rather watch a few of these other films than this one, even the other Seagal low budget actioners. Actually, I also recently watched two other Steven Seagal films, "Exit Wounds" and "Belly of the Beast," and both were much better than "The Foreigner" Perhaps this movie is an anomaly. I certainly hope so for Seagal's sake as even diehard fans will want to skip this clunker.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

Customer Reviews

Average Customer Review:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

Don't do it!, February 16, 2006

Reviewer: Bob Davis "Movie Lover" (Richland, WA USA) - See all my reviews

This is not the Seagal of the early nineties. Something has happened to him and it's not good. He's gained weight, does not move like before, and is hard to understand. The technical process is terrible. I will never buy another Seagal (I have 14 of the old ones) again and I think Amazon should seriously consider taking this off their site.

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

Lord Steven AKA God, November 5, 2005

Reviewer: SOIA1979 "Totally Sweet" (MD United States) - See all my reviews

'The Foreigner', along with 'Ticker', is just about the most hated Seagal flick by both the casual movie fan and the most devoted, dieheard Seagalogists. So, I went back and pulled it from my Seagal DVD collection and gave it a repeat viewing. I have come to decide that 'The Foreigner', while no where near the Lordly goodness of 'Belly Of The Beast' or 'Out For Justice', is much better than some of, in my opinion, Seagal's worst: 'Out Of Reach', 'Ticker', and 'Today You Die'.

The plot goes a little something like this: Lord Steven plays ex-CIA agent Johnathan Cold(by far the worst character name Seagal has ever had)who i guess is supposed to be in the same line of work as Jason Statham's character in 'The Transporter'. So the Lord is hired to deliver a package to some rich business tycoon, but of course is turned on by the people who hired him, the rich business tycoon's wife tries to steal the package, and there's other bad dudes out to get the package as well. Its all a little vague but if you don't concentrate too hard, you can ignore all the gaps in plot, and sorta kinda understand whats going on.

Anyways, the Lord is pretty sick looking in this film: he's tubby, his hair is nappy, and he has his arms crossed in front of his gut for approximately 80% of the film. There are a couple decent fight scenes, but the majority of them is obviously done by a stuntman who looks nothing like nor weighs nowhere near as much as Seagal. The only time the Lord appears during fight scenes is in close-up shots where it appears to be playing paddycake. Oh, and about a third of Seagal's dialogue is dubbed by someone who sounds nothing like him. But on the flipside, the cinematography is nice, the camera work is very well done, some very brutal shootings, and the acting is pretty good for the most part(especially by the black British guy who tortures Seagal near the beginning of the film; that guy is very good).

Overall, 'The Foreigner' is not a good film but its definitely not the Lord's worst. So I declare: it is not as deserving of the venom that films like 'Ticker' and 'Out Of Reach' deserve. Give it a second viewing and I don't think you'll hate it as much as you think you do. You won't love it, but you might realize, like I did, that it does have a few good points.

Oh, and as a little sidenote: Seagal's next flick, entitled 'Black Dawn', is a sequel to 'The Foreigner'. Go figure...he could have made a sequel to 'Under Seige' or 'Belly Of The Beast' or even brought back Gino Felino for 'Out For Justice 2' but he decides to bring back Johnathan Cold? Weird.

2 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

What a load of rubbish, December 20, 2004

Reviewer: man with porsche "Jan" (Aust) - See all my reviews

Hi my name is Lloyd Duff and I think this film needs to be thrown off a very high cliff. I like Steven Seagal and I am aware that he is in his 50's and cant do his karate like he used to. The story is he is suposed to deliver a package from Poland to go knows where for a rich dude. Most of the film is about his parnter going around pointlessy shooting people who have nothing to do with the movie. Was he mental? Why shoot the old porsche guy at berlin airport? yet help an old womon at the farm? Was he jeaulous of him? of his charming good looks? He could have just Drove away leaving the guy swearing in german and throwing his turino flatcap to to ground and screaming out "hoodlum" WHY MURDER HIM? He could have had money in his briefcase

See it for mindless action and mindless filmmaking, November 18, 2004

Reviewer: TrezKu13 (Savannah, GA) - See all my reviews

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

While Steven Seagal looks better in this film than he does in his later ones ("Out of Reach" made me dub him "the kung-fu Meatloaf") his statuesque features cannot save this movie. Neither can his amazing ability to keep every facial feature above his lower lip stiff. And though his adult diapers and ensure cannot stop the fact that he's not much of an action star any more, Steven has the help of horrible editing and directing to make it look like he's beating a guy up. Yet even this Kurosawa-like filmmaking cannot save this movie. In the end, all you get is a bad action movie.

One problem is that this movie makes it look like Europe is the size of a small village. One minute we're in Warsaw, then Germany, then suddenly everyone's British, then we're in Poland again, then Germany, then Norway, then Atlantis...where the heck are we? Were there wormholes that the characters used?

While plotholes abound and storyline is almost nonexistant, the writers have filled in the gaps with explosions and dead bodies. And lots of the latter. I counted three destroyed buildings, but lost count on the bodies. I do know, however, that the Department of Water Management funded this movie, because many characters die falling into a river or stream that happens to be nearby. This is true in the (second) attack Seagal makes on the industrial tycoon's headquarters. Almost every villain shot happens to fall backward, toppling into water. Perhaps it was to drown them, because Seagal seemed to like shooting the guards in the shoulders (unless Europeans have a vital organ in the shoulder I don't know about). The important thing about these deaths is that they give us emotions because we CARE about the characters! Like the black guy who dies since he's the black guy, or the spare black guy that dies because...well, he's the black guy.

There is one character I especially liked, the hitman that turns on Seagal. He had an actual name, but eventually my roommate and I dubbed him "Killer McDeath" because he kills everyone he comes across. I also couldn't help but noticed he killed off all the hot girls in the movie too: the cute maid at the mansion (shot), the young secretary at a business (shot), and the beautiful receptionist at the hotel (stabbed with a banana - oh no wait, he shot her). It got to the point where any time a cute girl appeared my roommate and I would say, "Uh oh, she's not gonna last long." I also have to say he was a tough guy - he's shot, blown out a window, shot again, hit by shrapnel, cut on the face, and smokes, but our friend Killer McDeath just shakes it off and keeps on tickin'. The sad thing is that in the end Steven Seagal kills him by a simple [...]-slap of doom. Surely the great Killer McDeath deserved a more suitable demise! Ah well, Killer McDeath will live on forever in "The Foreigner 2: Back to America."

What Did I Just Watch?!, March 6, 2004

Reviewer: the kung fu kid - See all my reviews

THE FOREIGNER is a film telling the story of...uh...um...that is to say the basic plot of THE FOREIGNER involves...um...oh, forget it, I give up! This movie makes no sense at all! It's one of Seagal's all time worst. He super sleepwalks through this one. In THE GODFATHER Marlon Brando stuffed his cheeks with cotton to make his jaw line appear a little different and his voice sound a little rougher. It looks as though Seagal tried the same aproach for THE FOREIGNER, but took it a couple steps too far and shoved entire cones of cotton candy into his mouth. He mumbles horrendously throughout the entire picture making most of his dialogue incomprehensible. This is extremely unfortunate as there's A LOT of the usual Seagal direct-to-video post-production voice-over-style acting in this one with Seagal obviously recording most of his monotonous monologue and

dialogue later on from the comfortable chairs of a sound booth.

For those interested in watching Seagal movies solely for the fights, this is also not the movie for you. He has only one big showdown here which doesn't last long and which can best be described as Steven Seagal plays patt-a-cake below the standards of physical coordination set by toddlers who practice the game.

Stay away unless you're a true diehard fan and simply MUST see everything Seagal does. For others, this is the pits!

dispo en pack full force avec la suite qui vient de sortir BLACK DAWN

dispo aussi avec terminator 3 !

Moi aussi !

Conspué par une horde d'anti Steven Seagal hystériques n'hésitant pas pour parvenir à leur entreprise malsaine de démolission du plus grand mythe des 90's à recourir aux attaques les plus basses (poauh, Steven à pris 30 kilos !) voir à verser dans un mépris tout à fait lamentable (pouah, Steven tourne en europe de l'est, quel loser !), "The foreigner" (L'affaire Van Acken), récément passé sur TF1, tout même un gage de qualité, sous le titre de "Traque explosive", s'avère en faite être un petit film tout à fait correcte (Pour peu qu'on ait pris soin de boire une cannette de Red Bull avant de commencer son visionnage).

Chaudement vétu d'un gros manteau, Steven parcour donc la Pologne, l'Allemagne et même la France (oui, vous ne revez pas, même la France ! ) ) en demastiquant au passage tout un tas d'individus patibulaire (dont un tueur black ayant visiblement suivit les même cours de comédie que Jim Carey) et en flirtant avec une mystérieuse blonde au téléphone.

Michael Oblowitz, sans doute subjugué par le charisme de Steven, n'arrêtte pas de faire des gros sur sa gueule burinée (mais ou est donc passé son visage de délicieux poupon ?), ce qui se révèle du plus bel effet.

Sinon, il aime visiblement aussi beaucoups faire des ralentits, des accélérations et tout plein de trucs hype qui prouve qu'il est un très grand réalisateur. (Mention spéciale aussi à la B.O qui allie avec brio musique Baroque et techno de supermarché)

Attention, la fin du film, brutale comme un coup de trique, est un momument de mélancolie, et si vous êtes sensible, elle risque de vous mettre les larmes aux yeux.

Tiens bon Steven, on t'aime !

• 4 years later...

Bon comme la TNT s'écharne a diffuser ce chef d'oeuvre trois fois par mois sur tout le bouquet, j'ai fini par le voir d'une traite en entier. Donc en fait c'est pas si mal pour du Neo-Steven. Seagal est gros mais pas encore trop, il casse pas de bras mais tire au fusil à pompe dans des Pollacks et des Tchèques. Et le bras armé du méchant est un sosie de John Lee Hooker donc c'est forcément cool.

Puis y'a une scène de pur Steven-style où l'intéressé appelle les méchants pour dire qu'il est très colère et va leur rentrer les bras dans l'anus et va ensuite dans leur chateau, très colère, pour leur rentrer les bras dans l'anus. Ce genre de choses qui faisaient le charme de la grande époque et manquent cruellement aux Steven d'ajourd"hui.

Le doublage est superbe, Seagal a une belle voix de fumeur de clopes désabusé.

• Créer...